The Washington University School of Architecture was originally part of the School of Engineering and Architecture. The program was first housed in Cupples I, and the first professor of architecture, Frederick M. Mann, came to teach. In 1910, the School of Architecture was separated from the engineering program as a separate unit. It is one of the 10 founding members of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture.
Twenty years later, Joseph Givens, whose father had been the architect for the university’s first (downtown) campus, donated money for the construction of a new building to house the School of Architecture -- Givens Hall, which opened in 1932. Since then, deans of the school have included Alexander Langsdorf, Joseph Murphy, and Constantine E. Michaelides, who served in that position from 1973 to 1993, becoming one of the longest-serving dean at the university. In 2005 the College of Architecture joined with the Art program as part of the Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts.
The accruals are interfiled in the collection.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions to access for series 01, 02, and 03. Portions of series 04 are restricted and require permission of the creating department for access. Class products remain copyrighted to the creating student.
Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.
Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.
If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)
This material was transferred to the University Archives by the School of Architecture at various times, with bulk amounts in 1995 and 1996.
Preferred Citation: [Item description]. From the [collection title, series, box, folder]. University Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Finding Aid Revisions: This finding aid was entered into Archon by Hannah Barg in June 2012. Updated by Sarah Gabriel in June 2017. Updated by Sarah Schnuriger in June 2019.
Scope and Contents: This collection contains a variety of materials from the School of Architecture at Washington University in St. Louis, including student work, departmental correspondence, project design proposals, and department files.