Robert Andrew Parker was born in Norfolk, Virginia, 1927. He has illustrated over forty highly praised books, many for children. He is also an acclaimed illustrator for magazines, including The New Yorker, Fortune, Sports Illustrated, and Mademoiselle, and has designed sets for operas. Parker has been the recipient of numerous awards and has exhibited his work extensively since the 1950s.
Parker attended the school of the Art Institute of Chicago from 1948 until 1952 and also worked at the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture in Maine and at Stanley William Hayter’s Atelier 17 in New York during the 1950s. His luminescent watercolor paintings and drawings are characterized by a loose, playful integration of subject and background, a metaphysical emphasis on the environment, natural or otherwise.
He has illustrated over forty children's books and has been recognized with awards including a Caldecott Honor and an American Library Association Notable Book award.
Repository: MGHL Dowd Modern Graphic History Library
2006. There are no accruals.
Restrictions: Some restrictions to access.
Some restrictions, please contact the Modern Graphic History Library Curator at (314) 935-7741 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.
Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.
If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or email@example.com. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)
The collection was donated to the Modern Graphic History Library by Robert Andrew Parker in December, 2006.