Gustav Fredrick Goetsch (1877-1969) was born in Gaylord, Minnesota. Goetsch attended the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts for five years, followed by a year at the New York School of Fine Arts, and several further years studying art in Europe. In 1904–1909 he returned to the Minneapolis Art School as an instructor.
From 1909 to 1914 he lived in St. Louis and taught at Washington University’s St. Louis School of Art (predecessor to the School of Fine Arts). Returning to the north, from 1914-1917 Goetsch was the Principal of the Fine Arts Department at the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts, before settling permanently in St. Louis and returning to the faculty of Washington University’s St. Louis School of Art in 1917. From 1946, until his retirement in 1952, Goetsch also taught in the Washington University School of Architecture.
Highly prolific, Goetsch’s work is often considered warmly spirited, cautiously serene, and exhibits a considerable amount of technical skill.
Users of the collections who wish to use items from this collection, in whole or in part, in any form of publication (as defined in the form) must sign and submit to the Washington University Department of Special Collections a hard copy of the Notification of intent to publish Modern Graphic History Library materials form.
All publication not covered by fair use restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder.
This material was donated to the Washington University Archives by Patricia Broeder Dwyer on March 23, 2006. It was transferred to the Modern Graphic History Library in 2011.
Scope and Contents: This collection consists of items about Gustav F. Goetsch which were collected by other individuals. For further information, see also the Gustav F. Goestch Papers, held by the Modern Graphic History Library.