Wayman Crow was born in central Kentucky in 1808. He moved to St. Louis in 1835, investing his holdings in the wholesale trade and later branching into insurance, railroads and real estate. He soon rose to a high position in the business community and even served twice in the state senate. While working in the senate, Crow wrote a charter for an educational institution, which he introduced on February 9, 1853. This charter was for the formation of the Eliot Seminary. The name was changed to Washington Institute of St. Louis in 1854, and O’Fallon Institute in 1855, before finally becoming known as Washington University in 1856.
Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.
Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.
If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)
This material was donated to University Archives by John Devine in ca. 1996. In November 2016 Anne Fahim donated a reproduction of the booklet "Crow Descendants" printed May 8, 1929 for Mrs. Sophie M. Crow, St. Louis, MO (includes names and background of various Crow family members).
Preferred Citation: [Item description]. From the [collection title, series, box, folder]. University Archives, Washington University in St. Louis.
Finding Aid Revisions: This finding aid was entered into Archon by Hannah Barg in August 2012.