Hidcote Manor Garden is a garden located on the outskirts of the small village of Hidcote Bartrim, near Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire, England and owned by the National Trust. Created by an American horticulturalist, Major Lawrence Johnston, it is often described as one of England's great "Arts and Crafts" gardens with its collection of rare trees, shrubs and herbaceous borders.
Johnston's mother, Mrs. Gertrude Winthrop, purchased the Hidcote Manor Estate in 1907. Johnston soon became interested in turning the fields around the house into a garden. By 1910, he had begun to lay out the key features of the garden and by the 1920s had twelve full-time gardeners working for him. The garden takes the form of a series of outdoor "rooms" of various characters and themes, achieved by the creative use of box hedges, hornbeam and yew and stone walls. These rooms, such as the 'White Garden' and 'Fuchsia Garden' are linked together, some by imaginative vistas and furnished with topiaries. Some have ponds and fountains, and all are planted with flowers in bedding schemes. They surround the 17th century manor house, and there are a number of outhouses and a kitchen garden. The garden was acquired by the National Trust in 1947.
Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.
Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.
If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)
Originally laid inI Fioretti del glorioso poverello di Cristo S. Francesco di Assisi by Fioretti di San Francesco.
BX4700 F63 A2 1922
Accession number 944
Preferred Citation:Name of the Collection, Washington University Libraries, Department of Special Collections