Leo Planiscig (August 31, 1887 - July 7, 1952) was an Austrian art historian. Planiscig possessed an excellent knowledge of Italian sculpture of the early modern period, in particular the small bronzes of the fifteenth century. Among his publications was a series of monographs of the most important Italian sculptors of the Renaissance.
Born in Gorizia, Planiscig published numerous essays in the literary magazine Il Marzocco while still in school. In 1908, he went to Vienna and studied art history at the Max Dvorak and Julius von Schlosser. He graduated in 1912 with a dissertation On the History of Venetian Sculpture in the 14th Century.
Planiscig was recommended to Archduke Franz Ferdinand as a consultant in matters of art. After the Archduke’s assassination in 1914, his art collection was placed in the Kunsthistorisches Museum and Planiscig was kept as a curator. In 1933, Planiscig appointed director of the collection of sculpture and decorative arts at the museum. He moved to Florence in 1938 and devoted himself to his studies as a private scholar. A bomb attack during World War II in 1943 destroyed his house in Florence. Although he survived by accident, Planiscig‘s health was impaired by the shock experience.
Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.
Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.
If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)
Originally laid in Die Estensische Kunstsammlung: Katalog, mit den Abbildungen sämtlicher Stücke by von Leo Planiscig. N1682 E8 A3
Accession number 1837
Preferred Citation:Name of the Collection, Washington University Libraries, Department of Special Collections